What should be corrected about GSAT?

There has always been debate about the Grade Six Achievement Test, even before its inception in 1999. This test was seen as the deciding factor in determining where you went after primary education. In the final year of primary education, when the student is in grade 6, the GSAT is taken. Prior to the sitting of the examination students are told to make a list of choices of the high schools they would like to attend. In 2000 when I sat the GSAT there were only 3 choices, as opposed to the 4 or 5 choices they have now. The grades you received in the series of tests that made up the GSAT , were averaged and each high school you chose had a minimum entrance level average. Your average determined if you were placed in you 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice, it also determined if you were not placed (as was the case with one individual at my preparatory school).





In my eyes and in the eyes of the GSAT students of my year (from various institutions), the GSAT is a placement exam: it determines which high school you are placed in after you have completed primary education. However, a few years ago there was much dialogue about students being placed at schools near to their place of residence instead of the schools they chose to be placed in. There were also cases where students were placed at newly upgraded high schools which were still under construction. No matter what the issue, there is always some discussion about GSAT and the Education ministry when the GSAT results are released each year.


This year’s discussion was started by the Minister of Education, Andrew Holness, who stated that there is something wrong with the GSAT and it needs to be addressed, among other things. He told The Gleaner that it is a meritocratic system. Hence is ideally to keep the students from more affluent families at certain schools and to put the “poorer” ones at the schools that are looked down upon. I disagree that it is a system that promotes meritocracy because at what they call “traditional high schools” there is a much more diverse student population now, than even in 2000 when I passed GSAT .


I passed the GSAT and was placed at Wolmer’s, my first choice. My parents had changed it without telling me; Wolmer’s was not even in my list of choices, but Immaculate and Campion were. At that time those schools were seen as the ones to pick for, the ones to attend. On entering Wolmer’s I must admit that I was somewhat out of my element, because it was the first time I would mix with students from primary schools. However, it turned out to be a fabulous experience and I thank the Lord that I attended Wolmer’s instead of Immaculate or Campion. I believe that Wolmer’s introduces you to a variety of people, from a variety of backgrounds and teaches you tolerance and acceptance. I believe that schools such as Campion which were seen as “white schools” even in this day and age have become more diverse, and as such brings to their students the same advantage attending Wolmer’s gave to me.


Campion , Immaculate, and even Wolmer’s were once “colonial schools”; schools where only whites were taught or institutions where the very affluent sent their children. Nowadays, as long as you have attained the GSAT average which complies with the school’s acceptance, you have earned a place at that school. I do believe that the high school GSAT students are placed at does not adversely affect their performance level. It is the student that needs to be motivated enough to perform at any school they are placed in. I believe that every high school in Jamaica has its own level of teaching and successes and I do believe that what Jamaica needs are more teachers that are willing to go above and beyond their call of duty in ensuring the student’s understanding.


The only problem with the GSAT exam is the fact that some high schools are looked down upon by parents and student alike. Hence, the disappointment and attempts to transfer the child to a different school, or even the expense incurred with sending them to a private school instead; The mindset of many needs to be changed about several high schools in Jamaica, namely the newly upgraded high schools and technical schools. I was made to believe, or due to my lack of knowledge, believed that Wolmer’s was not a good school. This same mindset is what is crippling the GSAT community (students, teachers and parents).


The Minister of Education needs to find a way to make these schools more appealing to the GSAT population, teachers and parents. I do not know what Minister Andrew Holness would like to modify about the GSAT, and I do know how he plans to carry out this modification. I do believe, however, that there are bigger issues to be tackled than the fact that GSAT should not be seen/ should not be a placement exam. I do commend him on reinstituting the Grade Four Literacy Test. What is to be fixed about GSAT? You tell me.

Comments

Deborah said…
Seriously the government refuses to learn from their mistakes. Instead of thinking of things from a long term basis, they insist on finding a 'quick fix' for everything. Obviously GSAT was not properly sorted out from the get-go or there would be way less problems now. They need to completely revamp every single person in the government...probably send them to a government training camp for a few months and let the army take over until they return. It's not like the army has that much to do anyway.