My Pleasant Police Encounter

This morning I left my house in my usual mood, ready to take on the world (ye, right... we all know I was sleepy as heck and still a bit groggy). So when I stumbled upon a huge police operation a stone's throw from my gate, I was less than pleased. Of course driving the "police magnet" (a Toyota Corolla) they stopped me. 

The look on the police man's face was pretty pleasant, not the usual screw face. He asked me whose vehicle it was, asked for the papers for the car, asked to see in the trunk and then asked for my driver's license.




My bag was in the trunk, therefore my driver's license was in the trunk... So I came out of the car in one foot of slippers and the other foot with my canvas driving shoe and ofcourse one police officer called out "I like both your shoes" and we all had to laugh.

He checked the license and then asked me what I did (in terms of occupation) ... I boldly replied that I'm a journalist and another cop joked "so she a go write bout this later" ... and here I am lol.

Although the encounter seems short in this write up, it feels like forever when you're trying to get somewhere and you are "inconvenienced" by check points such as these; however, the police men were so good-natured and polite that it hardly registered in my mind's eye as a bother.

I've been driving for a few years now and I've been stopped, and reprimanded by police officers before, and although I have never been in the wrong (except for that one time at band camp... I mean New Kingston lol and maybe that other time at school, but that was campus police so it doesn't count, right?), police men and women are usually in a very SOUR mood . 

BUT!!!! these men were not and that made the whole process smoother.

I made an effort to post this so we (Jamaicans) are aware that the police force is not just ALL BAD, and that there are some men and women who are trying their best to uphold the noble name of the crime-fighting/ protective services.





Comments