Growing Up



Don't you just love kids? This is exactly what my younger cousins would have asked me or my mother... Having a conversation with a child is unbelievably eye-opening. I dare you to try it.

Now, moving on to what this post should be about... After growing up in what my parents and experts would have called the "Technology Era" (in my opinion any era would have seen technological improvements, so all this hulabaloo about the 'advancements in technology' within that period, just seems unnecessary to me..anywhooo I digress), I and perhaps others within that generation felt like they were the bees knees ... superior to all... young forever... just awesome overall.




It may have just been the curse of youth that made us feel so immune to aging and hard work, however this paired with the ease of carrying out tasks (technological developments - esp.: the internet) made us feel like we were entitled to whatever we aspired to and that hard work was a foreign concept, reserved for those before us who did not have access to the technology we now have that makes us more efficient, faster, more reliable than older folks (which I'm sure you would realize by now is one of many misconceptions of my generation).

However, like the baby boomers and the hippies believed they were the heroes and heroines, the super men and women, the gods and goddesses of their time and who are now fading in age and significance, so is this generation of technocrats... making way for newer, better, more efficient technology and with it a snobby generation. (I can safely call them snobby since my generation is outdated lol.)

In the blink of an eye (or perhaps several blinks) you're no longer 18 and you can't just randomly call a friend to hang out on a Friday evening anymore,  because they're married (and of course you have to give them time to consult their other half), or they have kids now...and you think "shit...I'm no longer a teenager. I have responsibilities and things to accomplish before I'm 30". Let's just not even start talking about how close that big 3-0 looks now.

When we're growing up we believe we would have had so much time to "frolic" and experiment during our 20's ... but now you spin around two times (or I could just say twice here, couldn't I?) and wonder where your 20's have gone. But, let's not be fooled to think we're grown, now that our ages are closer to dropping off the calendar. We never stop growing up. 

There is always something new to learn, and with every new year we must understand that there is something we can let go of. Don't be that one 40 year old woman in the club wearing a spandex skirt that leaves nothing to the imagination and a midriff top showing your sagging belly skin, or that 35 year old who still believes that, in order to maintain a friendship, you have to talk to someone everyday. That's really childish stuff (although mommy would never allow me to leave the house in a skirt showing my boom boom) and as we grow we need to evolve in every way. 

Now, all you literal people out there, I don't mean change every aspect of your being every year (then people won't recognize you and yadda yadda)... I just mean you need to evaluate yourself and separate your "growing up" behaviour from your "can't grow out of it" behaviour and see what can be modified.

One year older, one year wiser...



Comments