What have you learnt in 2015?



Hey there !!

I finally blew the dust off my blog and decided to make a blog post before the end of the year (in about a week or so).



Two thousand and fifteen (because you should never begin a sentence with a number) has been a year. WHAT A DAMN YEAR! I would say I've grown and I've overcome and all that good stuff people tend to say at the end of the year in their reflections, but I think I'd rather say I survived.






I think throughout the year I was actually working on becoming a responsible adult. Some people may see that phrase - responsible adult- as a metaphor, but to me it's more of an oxymoron.

I still hate doing "adult" things like... filling out health insurance claim forms, or forms in general and making adult decisions like ... can I afford to buy these today, or should I wait until next week? ... and of course I hate the adult/ car-owner related responsibilities ... like spending half your pay on your car in one go... but I'm accepting that while I'd rather be asleep 75% of the time, I actually have to face these adult realities and I think I'm getting better at this.

Some important things I learnt in 2015:


  1. Your life is much more than work - although your job is important (esp. since it may be your primary source of income), it should not take over your life. You're more than your job description
  2. Always find time to have fun - find out what you like, and do it ... often ! Quite a few NCDs (non-communicable diseases) run in my family, and quite a few of them can be exacerbated by stress. So, over breakfast one morning Daddy sat me down and spoke about how important it is for me to just have fun sometimes and be more organised (yeah I'm still working on the organisation part). Let your hair down, have some fun and drink some rum !! [rum optional]
  3. Your reason for happiness should be you - happiness is an amazing thing and we should all have it, but too many times we link happiness to people or specific events and then without these people or the actualization of these events our happiness is missing. Reclaim your happiness, don't let anyone or anything be in control of your joy. Put the YOU in happiness
  4. You define you - don't think about people or what they have to say about your character, but it may be useful to listen to criticisms when it comes to your work or other things which may require a second opinion. You is smart. You is kind. You is important
  5. Save a little... or a lot - it's important to have a little money stashed away for a rainy day, or a laptop, or a last minute surgery (I mean who knows). When I wasn't working, while I was finishing my Master's, my laptop (my awesome father had given me) just stopped working... in the middle of me working on my thesis (thank God for Dropbox). Luckily I had some money stashed away and cleaned it out so I could buy a laptop (which I am still using 2 years later.. I'm using it to type this blog post :D). Save some money guys really. Every mickle mek a muckle
  6. Your hair does not determine your worth...or your beauty - one side of my family is very much HELL BENT on hair... and while growing up I've always wanted long hair. I've had processed hair since probably grade 5 (and I cut it off twice since that time - once to go back natural, then that ship sailed after a few weeks and then for a pixie asymmetrical cut during university which I got tired of after a few months). Not sure what possessed me to chop off all my hair but after telling one of my longest friends that I'm gonna "chop off my hair and pierce my nose", she fully said, "you do realise you're nearer to 30 than 20 and this is teenage behaviour" LOL. Well maybe I'm having a mid mid-life crisis. So I cut off my hair to really redefine beauty to myself and it's a process everyday but I'm loving myself a little more everyday. BE-YOU-TIFUL.


I asked the question on Twitter, and here were some of the responses: 

What have you learnt in 2015?

That It's possible to survive for almost 6 months on just 3 hours of sleep a day. ": What have you learnt over the year?"



Not every situation that comes up deserves your energy. How to forgive. Patience. Still dunno how to puppytail tho



Take good care of yourself and health, eat properly, exercise etc. Your job won't do it for you.


Not all that glitters is gold. Also, even tho roses have thorns, I'm thankful for the thorns that have roses.


": Just had the idea to to a blog post from this... sooo what have you learnt in 2015" stay away from people


that no one "deserves" anything but also that I'm stronger than I give myself credit for.


Ewman beans nuh trustable.


To keep pushing forward when you think you cant take anymore.




How to Hit the Quan



How to ask for help and be ok with letting someone help me.


Don't confuse ppl a fass inna u business with ppl actually caring about u RT : One last time : WHAT DID YOU LEARN IN 2015?


Too much for 140 characters.


Comments