#RESOLVElutions: Aug and Sept : Success is all about a little luck





When people speak about luck it always seems like an abstract concept, but we're going to see how luck can manifest into real success.



So many things are happening all at once and it feels like I can't get my life organised, including  getting these #RESOLVElutions posts out. However, I am committed to at least trying to keep promises I have made to myself so I am merging the August and September blog posts and podcasts.

The topic for August : "A little luck"... and September's "success" focus were fused.




'

Every time I've heard of someone;s story of success it involves some element of luck - a good investment decision just happened; someone gave them the job that changed their lives; some stranger decided to invest in their dream... There has always been some element of luck.

Luck is defined as : success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions

Luck may seem like it came from nowhere, like it just floated onto your lap out of thin air. Generally that's what we are programmed to think: that luck is not something that can be cultivated, encouraged or "lured" (for want of a better term). But, it can.

Before graduating from my Master's programme I landed the job that changed my life, the job that pretty much changed my career path. Some would call this luck, but what everyone else didn't see was the hours of research I had done into non-government organisations and the kind of work they were doing and the time I took to mentally place myself in each field to see if they were a good fit. I eventually volunteered with that organisation and was called within a few months, when a position opened up. 

People will always see your successes (however small or large) and believe that you're just a lucky person and they can never have that success. Hell, I have done that for the majority of my adulthood. I have always thought that I never had access to the luck that everyone else had access to....that there was some missing element. That I would never be able to achieve true success. 

I have done a lot of introspection since starting this series (I may be the one benefiting from this the most) and I realised that the concept of luck that we reduce successes to is just a way to talk ourselves out of actually trying; a way to comfort our mediocrity; a way to make us feel better because we can't achieve our dreams like that person because that person is just lucky. Now, I am not saying that there are not times when the odds are clearly stacked in someone else's favour - like someone who has more resources perhaps (financially and otherwise); but it is upon us to create a path for ourselves. If there is oppression standing in your way find a way to bulldoze that wall; to demolish it; to break it down brick by brick. We are the only ones who see our vision; the only ones who believe that somehow we can. What would you do if nothing could stop you? What is stopping you? (this can be real and perceived) How can these barriers be removed, reduced or obliterated?

We have to begin facilitating and mediating opportunities that will turn into our little luck that eventually leads to the successes we want to achieve. As I type this at 3 AM, I am aware people may believe this is insane. Afterall, how can we cultivate luck... but if we believe, and I mean truly believe in ourselves then we will realise that "our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure".




Look out for the podcast...and thank you for reading.




Comments